Have you ever thought about how important your brain is and what is required to keep it healthy? Your brain’s health or mental health is just as important as your physical health, in fact, your present state of health is directly connected to how healthy your brain is. You need more than a good rest, exercise and good nutrition to keep your brain healthy. Overtime, the use of brain boosters or brain enhancers also known as nootropics has proven to be helpful in achieving good mental health.
What is Nootropics?
Nootropics are a class of cognitive enhancing supplements that are used to improve concentration and boost memory power. These supplements improve such mental functions as focus, memory, motivation, creativity, mood and cognition in individuals who use them. Nootropics are also natural or synthetic substances that have the capacity to protect and promote brain health.There are various types of nootropics and it’s important you know the difference to ensure you choose the right ones that guarantee optimum performance in their usage. Let us examine the natural nootropics and the synthetic type.
Natural vs. Synthetic Nootropics
Nootropics essentially come in two different forms, or states – those that occur naturally, and those that are synthesised in a lab. While the natural nootropics are made from natural compounds extracted from plant and animal tissues and minerals, the synthetic ones are made by scientists in a lab.
Natural Nootropics and their Benefits
Some examples of herbal or natural nootropics include lion’s mane mushroom, fish oil, huperzine-A and gingko biloba. Let’s see how these function.
- Lion’s mane mushroom: research has it that lion’s mane mushroom improves cognitive functions, regenerates nerves and stimulates nerve growth factors amongst other functions.
- Fish oil: Omega-3 fats for instance build brain cell membranes, reduce brain inflammation, and promote new brain cell formation, protects against brain disorders such as depression and dementia while improving your mood and memory.
- Huperzine-A: Huperzine-A is well known for its ability to treat such neurological problems as Alzheimer’s disease. It also has the capacity to increase mental clarity, concentration, information, retention and memory formation.
- Gingko biloba: Ginnko biloba has been proven to increase concentration, help fight anxiety and depression, reduce risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease and improve cognitive functions in addition to several other benefits.
Synthetic Nootropics and their Benefits
There are several kinds of synthetic nootropics which include:
- Piracetam: Piracetam is a manmade nootropic that belongs to the racetam family; Potential benefits of piracetam are increased memory and focus in order to complete tasks.
- Oxiracetam: Oxiracetam is said to be an improvement on piracetam with a higher level of effectiveness. Its benefits include improved memory and attention span, cognitive enhancement, higher levels of concentration and lots more.
- Aniracetam: Aniracetam is known to increase confidence and reduce anxiety. It basically serves as a mood booster and memory enhancer.
Both natural and synthesized nootropics can benefit your brain in several ways. Synthetic nootropics may have a short term noticeable effect on your brain health, there are, however, questions about their sustainability for long-term usage and overall health. This is one of the major distinguishing factors between the natural and synthetic nootropics.