Diabetes is a disease that has been known to affect both children and adults. In many countries, this disease has raised serious concern as the population of people that are diagnosed for it increases by the day, a large population of people also died from diabetes every year and a lot of people have been wondering if there is actually any cure for it. A lot of research from various scientist and nutritionists has shown that diabetes at different stage especially in type2 diabetes and harder in type1 diabetes can be managed effectively by taking the following natural foods and supplements. These foods if you are diabetic can easily be added to your daily meals in order to help you manage your condition.
In addition to these foods that are added to your daily meals, some foods that have proven to be harmful to the health of a diabetic patient are also removed in order to allow the good foods to manage your health properly. These harmful foods include;
- Refined sugar such as sugary beverages, juice, raw honey and a lot more.
- Grain foods such as wheat, cassava have proven to be harmful to the body of a diabetic patient as they contain a large amount of carbohydrate that are easily broken down into simple sugar during digestion.
- Cow milk and other dairy products such cheese and yogurt are also dangerous.
- Alcohol drinks contain a lot of simple sugar that tends to increase the blood sugar level of the body. In fact, research has shown that heavy consumption of alcohol from a young age is one of the most common causes of diabetes in older people.
- Hydrogenated oil like vegetable oil, soybean oil, and others is very harmful to the body of a diabetic patient.
There are a lot of natural foods that have been proven when incorporated into the diet of a diabetic person can go a long way in improving and maintaining the blood sugar level of the person. These foods include;
- Foods rich in fiber such as vegetables like Brussels, fruits like avocados, nut and seed fruits are also rich in fiber. The high amount of fiber in the body help to regulate the sugar level of the blood, reduce the rate of absorption of glucose in the blood and also improves detoxification.
Broccoli, for example, is a common vegetable that could be easily incorporated into every meal of a diabetic person. It contains Sulforaphane, a compound that acts as an anti-inflammatory agent in the body as well as helps to control blood sugar level.
- Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acid especially fish and its various products help to cool and prevent various inflammations of the liver and heart which is one of the signs and causes of diabetes. As much as fish and its products help to improve various heart diseases, fried fish and seafood are not included as good foods for a diabetic person.
- Olive oil which is not included as a hydrogenated oil help to reduce the risk and improve the effects diabetes especially type2 diabetes. Olive oil is commonly used in the preparation of many regular meals which are healthy to the body. Olive oil in regular diet has been proven from a lot of studies to have the ability to reduce the risk of developing diabetes if it is incorporated into the diet regularly. It also reduces the risk of various heart diseases and damage to the body cells due to its antioxidant content. Olive oil has a lot of healthy nutrients when taken regularly help protect and heal the body.
- Walnut is a common fruit gotten from the walnut tree. Its advantages cannot be overemphasized. It contains a lot of nutrients such as vitamin E, fiber, omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid and a lot more that help to fight cancer, diabetes and a lot of heart diseases. They also contain antioxidant and anticancer substances that tend to control the blood sugar of the body in the bid to improve the condition of the body. A lot of snacks nowadays do contain walnut so even though you cannot find an actual walnut seed, these snacks can serve as a supplement as they also contain all the nutrients of walnut.
- Blueberries are also an example of an excellent food that helps to reduce and cure diabetes. This is due to it’s rich insoluble and soluble fiber content. It also contains a substance called anthocyanins that when in the bloodstream help to improve the body’s blood sugar level, alleviates depression and also tend to improve the human brain memory. The nutrients blueberry contains help the body become more aware of insulin in the blood and therefore help low the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream.
- Foods rich in magnesium such as Steel-cut oats. Oats meal has been researched and shown to be rich in magnesium which helps to better prevent and improve diabetes especially type2 diabetes. This food helps the body to digest glucose and secrete insulin with little or no stress. It helps to improve the function of the body that is why a diabetic person that regularly incorporated oatmeal into his diet shortly starts noticing improving changes in his or her health condition. Oats also contain antioxidants that go a long way in improving a person’s digestion.
- Sweet potato is also a common healthy food that can easily be incorporated into a daily diet to help improve the diabetic It contains a substance called anthocyanin that serves as an antioxidant in the body thereby preventing various inflammations in the liver. Sweet potato has also been found to reduce the blood sugar content of the body and also improve digestion of glucose. It also serves as an antiviral and antimicrobial food in the body.
With the regular intake of some of these foods, diabetes has shown to have improved dramatically even without the intake of various chemical drugs available today from improving the condition.